Insolvency Practitioners and the Domino Effect

Insolvency, the Domino Effect and Insolvency Practitioners

The Increased Risk of Insolvency to Suppliers, Debtors or Customers When a Company Becomes Insolvent

The domino effect, as it is known, happens when one company enters insolvency and in so doing increases the risks of other companies associated with it also entering insolvency, including suppliers, debtors and customers. Recent research by R3, the insolvency and restructuring trade organisation has found that the financial impact of the insolvency of another company was seen by 10% of UK businesses as very negative, and somewhat negative by 16% – a total of 26% of UK businesses. Our insolvency practitioners at our London office look at this research in a little more detail, and comment on ways in which we can help when financial distress is caused unexpectedly by another form’s insolvency.

Underlying Insolvencies Increased by 13% in Q1 2018

It is no surprise, sadly, that the major insolvencies of large companies in 2018, including Carillion, Toys R Us and Maplin have resulted in significant problems for many other businesses. Indeed, the R3 figures show that underlying insolvencies grew by 13% in Q1 2018 compared to the previous quarter. The retail sector has been particularly hard hit, with the Centre of Retail Research reporting 26 companies failing in the first 6 months of 2018, resulting in c.1,900 stores closing and c.21,000 employees being affected.

R3 reported a strong and immediate upsurge in requests for help and advice from its member insolvency practitioners, the requests coming from the suppliers and service providers affected by the companies who had entered insolvency.

How can Insolvency Practitioners help?

The incidence of these financial problems has varied by region and by industry type, and by severity. One sector particularly affected has been the construction sector. Characterised by a complex network of contractors, sub-contractors and even sub-sub-contractors, the effect of one big insolvency on other firms down the supply chain can be unexpected, quick and devastating. Other sectors such as wholesale and transport, both of which are low-margin, are also quickly exposed to insolvencies of other firms, especially in retail.

Whatever the sector or region, however, although it is true to say that businesses should always plan to mitigate against the risks caused by the insolvencies of customers and/or suppliers, that can be more easily said than done. Businesses that were reasonably confident of their future can very quickly enter a state of distress or crisis when a major company they deal with becomes insolvent, and this is where insolvency practitioners can help.

Businesses in Distress

When a business is in financial distress, it is usually suffering from one or more of the following:

The sooner the distressed business contacts an insolvency practitioner, the more likely it is that we can do things to help to restructure and buy time to avoid a formal insolvency process. Our help can include:

As insolvency practitioners, our focus on businesses in distress is to work with the owners to avoid a formal insolvency procedure by recommending and implementing the optimal route out of a crisis.

Businesses in Crisis

If distress signs are ignored or not acted upon quickly enough, then the restructuring options are fewer, or possibly non-existent, in which case a formal insolvency procedure is likely to be required. These include:

When a formal insolvency procedure is implemented, the responsibilities of the directors change from being in favour of the shareholders to the creditors. The role of the insolvency practitioner is to carry out as orderly a process as possible.

Contact our Insolvency Practitioners if your Business is in Distress or Crisis

When businesses enter insolvency, especially the bigger insolvencies that we have seen this year, the domino effect on suppliers, debtors or customers can be quick and unexpected. This has led to a growth in insolvencies in 2018 to date.

Whatever the cause, the sooner a business in crisis or distress contacts an insolvency practitioner, the more we can do to help. With offices in London, Brentwood, Salisbury and The Cotswolds, we are well placed to help. Look at some of our testimonials and if you like what you see, please contact us or call us on 0208 088 0633 for a FREE initial consultation.

Share this page...Share on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterShare on LinkedIn

This website uses cookies to give you the best user experience. For information on cookies please read our cookie policy. Click on the Accept button to continue using Cookies on this website. By declining cookies you might lose some functionality.